Wednesday, January 20, 2010

College, Calculus, 'Free' Tires, and Forgiveness

So today I had my first day of college at ACC. Interesting day, but I can truthfully say I enjoyed it. Looks like the Business Calculus class won’t be too hard, and the other math class will be mostly review, so study shouldn’t be too killer. The day was packed, with Business Calculus in the morning, followed by an hour break, then math for business and economics began at 12:00. When I was done at ACC for the day, I headed up to Jackson Galloway and Associates (JGA) to see what I could help out with. The really interesting part happened during my hour break in between classes. Because my second class spans the time I usually eat lunch, I decided to leave and eat lunch early. When I got out to my truck, however, I found that I had a flat tire on the rear wheel. Talk about weird, it drove up there fine, and when I had parked the truck it still looked fine. The only thing I can figure is that I picked up a nail or tore it on a curb in the ACC parking lot. My break ended up being mostly spent changing the tire out for my spare. The cool part to the story is that I was able to get a brand new tire put on for only $30. I had purchased insurance on them when I bought them last year, so today what would have run me $240 + tax for a new tire was only $30! Talk about a good deal! Another blessing was the timing of the flat - I wasn't in a hurry for class and I had plenty of time to change it out. It was getting a little worn anyway, so a brand new tire was cool. It's a little weird to be happy or at least content about a flat tire, but I can honestly say it was almost enjoyable! :-) Well that was the workings of the day, but I learned something else about judgment and forgiveness today.

Back in December when I first went in to ACC to apply and register, I met with a professor from the math department to find out what the requirements were to be admitted to Calculus I. She ended up surprising me with a pop quiz, which really annoyed me (because I did awful). Because I did poorly, she recommended that I go in college algebra first, because it would make it easier when I did go to A&M. At the time I knew that I could do the things she had quizzed me on, I just needed some review, so her answer frustrated me. I was also irritated because I was given the feeling that she wrote off my transcript simply because I was home schooled. When I left her office that day, I was steaming on the inside, and decided she was just awful.

Today I my opinion was changed. Turns out that the teacher for my Business Calculus class is – you guessed it, the professor that quizzed me before. As soon as I found out she was teaching the course I became worried and frustrated because I assumed it would be a rough semester. I was pleasantly surprised to find that instead of being the angry, controlling type that I had judged her as, she was a really good teacher and seemed to genuinely care about how her students did in class. My eyes were opened to how it was wrong for me to judge her as I had before. Yes, the way she treated me with the pop quiz may not have been fair, but I assumed it was motivated by a desire to control her fiefdom and by a dislike for home schoolers. After observing her teach the class today, I realized my assumptions were wrong and unfair to her – she really was worried about my ability and felt she was helping me the best way possible.

This past Sunday the sermon was on forgiveness and the passage about it in Matthew 6. Mr. Welton talked about how bitterness will develop when you don’t forgive someone. He also explained that if an offense is not big enough to take back to the offender and explain how you were hurt, then you should allow love and forbearance to cover it. I already partially understood this concept, but today I realized how there was a disconnect between my knowledge and how I was living. I was truly angry at this professor, and it was developing into bitterness. Today I had the opportunity to witness her actions and realize (to the best of my ability) her true motives. It was a healing process for me, and in the end I was able to forgive her, or really just let love and forbearance cover it. I’m so glad God allowed me to see this professor in a different light and realize my wrong attitude. Had we never met again, I’m sure I would think back to this time in my life and always remember her with anger and bitterness. I hope that this relatively painless lesson sticks with me, and I remember to let love cover minor offenses, not only from strangers, but my family and friends as well. 1 Peter 4:8 “And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins.” Oh, and praise God for cheap tires!

No comments:

Post a Comment